21st May 2012
Photo reblogged from Ignorance Is Bliss
this is a picture of popcorn, one of my favorite snacks. They are crunchy and sweet.
Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks to eat while watching movies. Butter flavored is usually the way to go but the more healthier was is plain. I usually cook it on the stove not microwave to avoid unnecessary oil that is added in the bags. Like most people, popcorn is my number one choice when choosing a snack to watch something.
While reasearching about popcorn, i learned these fun facts:
- Americans consume some 16 billion quarts of this whole grain, good-for-you treat. That’s 51 quarts per man, woman, and child.
- Compared to most snack foods, popcorn is low in calories. Air-popped popcorn has only 31 calories per cup. Oil-popped is only 55 per cup.
- Popcorn is a type of maize (or corn), a member of the grass family, and is scientifically known as Zea mays everta.
- Of the 6 types of maize/corn—pod, sweet, flour, dent, flint, and popcorn—only popcorn pops.
- Popcorn is a whole grain. It is made up of three components: the germ, endosperm, and pericarp (also know as the hull)